Friday, July 3, 2020

Book 27 Inkheart



Inkheart by Connie Funke fulfilled the “Book that passes the Bechdel test” for the PopSugar 2020 Reading Challenge. It was probably not a great choice for this category. But I’ve been wanting to read it for years, so…
The Bechdel test is a measure of gender equality in literature. The women must engage in dialog beyond males and relationships. Inkheart isn’t the best example of a novel that passes the test. There are few female characters, and they interact little. I think the pass comes from Meggie and Elinor’s interactions. They talk about books every so often. But in a 534-page book and to pass this test, I would hope there should be a stronger relationship. Meggie also speaks with her mother and the Magpie, but again, nothing profound.
Why is the Bechdel test important? Our current environment is dominated by men—publishing, misogyny, male-world view. Therefore, it’s essential for women to communicate with each other beyond talking about guys. Many books give women a small role or keep them out of the big conversation. The test points to stories where women, especially young girls, can see their gender engaging in intelligent discourse without men participating. I’m not trying to man-shame, but we need to talk to each other without them around, ladies.
I should have switched the novel for this category to Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy by Rey Terciero which I used for the “Book with a Pink Cover” prompt. That story has the girls talking about many things beyond their relationships with their father, their male friends, and boyfriends. But then I wouldn’t have a pink cover story. And I’d have read a 500+ page book for nothing. LOL
If we go beyond the category for the story, Inkheart is a rich well of fantasy. Who wouldn’t want their favorite characters to emerge from their novels to hang out and chat? But those characters need to deal with our world. And in some cases, become more than the two-dimensional figure from the story. I like that Dustfinger remained himself. He was always selfish and stayed so. He wanted to go home despite the new universe, his new love (who he lost), and a more sanitary life. I hate that he betrayed Mo so many times, but he was who he was.
The story took a long time to get to the ending. It seemed to me that Ms. Funke looped the story by going to the Italian village twice. I understand the plot device, but the length of the tale could have cut that to one trip. There were other places where I needed the author to pick up the pace and move the tale forward faster. This is an adventure story, but I felt like I was constantly sitting and waiting.
All that said, it’s a good tale with much adventure and fun. If I continue the series, I’ll listen to the next on audio. Passive reading seems to get me through these enormous books. 
I give Inkheart by Connie Funke Four Rare, Leather-bound Books.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Books that Didn’t Make the Blog

It was a stellar year for reading. All the quarantining gave me ample time to read and read and read. I had a total of 165 books, including ...