Friday, August 28, 2020

Book 35 Speak


  Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson fulfilled the category “Book with at least a 4-Star Rating on Goodreads” for the PopSugar 2020 Reading Challenge. As of this post, Speak has a rating of 4.02 based on almost 500,000 ratings and a well-deserved score. I couldn’t have chosen a better book for the category. It blew me away, and I have no idea why it’s not a perfect 5 on Goodreads.

I had heard about the novel from several sources. I mostly read romance, horror, cozy mystery. Young Adult is great too, but I stick to fantasy inside the genre. When one of my two teenage daughters was having issues with depression, a teacher recommended Speak as a read for my girl. Unfortunately, neither girl read it, nor did I until this prompt. Now I wished I had pushed it on both kids. Every child in middle school should read the story, experience the pain and isolation, and see depression and PTSD are real problems with today’s youth. The same goes for reading The Hunger Games, but that’s another discussion.

Speak is the story of a fourteen-year-old girl who is raped by a classmate at a party. And she shuts down. The novel is told in the first-person point of view and really gets into the meat of the feelings the teen experiences and her PTSD. The tale goes way-down deep. I cried so much. We feel for this girl so deeply, we almost become her. Huge kudos to Ms. Anderson for her adeptness in portraying the anguish, fear, and loneliness that comes with dealing with such an enormous issue all on her own.

I listened to the book on audio and for me, I think it made the story hit a deeper note. Hearing the reader speak with the girl’s voice, when she had none of her own, was a moving experience. Reading text might have also invoked a deep connection as well since the words would’ve been in my head. But hearing it aloud made me confront some issues from my own life, and my children. My girls and I had several long talks as I read the book. I also bought the graphic novel version for my youngest. She has trouble visualizing and it makes reading difficult. I wanted her to experience the tale and a graphic version made that possible.

The story will stay with me for a long time. I plan to read the sequel but can totally see myself rereading Speak once a year until my girls are older. And I hardly ever reread books.

I know this post is short for such a poignant, relevant novel. All I can say is go read it, make your children read it, and then talk about the book. 

I give Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson Five Stashes of Art Supplies (and a thousand stars more).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books that Didn’t Make the Blog

It was a stellar year for reading. All the quarantining gave me ample time to read and read and read. I had a total of 165 books, including ...